Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Day 17: Everybody's Selling Something

 


Day 17: Everybody’s Selling Something

Part of my song-a-day writing project for January 2024

Lyrics:

Everybody's selling something
Everyone, including me
I got my trinkets, got my toys
I got my specialties
I can sing the phone book
And I can read that rhyme
You got a moment?
You know money equals time

Time to give yourself away
Time to earn yourself some pay

Everyone's a volunteer
But they just don't remember
When they were new recruits
And tempted with the fruits of labor
We could've walked on water
We could've shared the land
Instead we're buying
Public figures on demand

Man, go give yourself away
Woman, go earn yourself some pay

Everyone's a prostitute
Everybody wants their freedom
Let's lose the madames, pimps
The arbitrary brothel keepers
Let's open all the doors
And unlatch all the gates
Pandora's box with
All the Furies and the Fates

Hey, don't give it all away
I say we just give them Hell to pay
You know their rules are just a fable
Now let's throw that game board off the table

***

Details:

Earlier I had posted a request for people to join my Patreon page, which is a new thing for me. Selling art and music is always a weird thing-- you don't really want it to feel like a job. At the same time, being a full time creative seems like it would be a the best job! But still, it feels like you're selling pieces of your soul in a way you don't when you're selling toasters (or whatever).

I wanted to have a more driving rhythm, and I don't think I've used this strumming pattern yet this year. I've been getting away with doing more free-form lyrics lately, so I gave it a shot with this song, too. It seems like I just point my mind at my mood, and the words end up making sense, more or less.

This one didn't take long to write, but, man, recording it took forever. It's a dirt simple chord progression, too, but I just kept falling off rhythmically. And when I didn't, I flubbed a line. Anyway, I decided to go with this take, which isn't perfect, but it gets the point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment