Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Day 28: There's A Hole In The Roof

 


Day 28: There’s A Hole In The Roof

Part of my song-a-day writing project for January 2024

Lyrics:

There's a hole in the roof
A hole in the roof again
There's a hole in the roof
A hole in the roof again
Thank God it isn't raining
On this Godforsaken cottage I'm in

There's a crack in the window
A crack in the window once more
There's a creak in the hinge
A creak in the hinge on the door
Thank God nobody's knocking
I don't know what I'm locking it for

And the faucet is leaking
The faucet is leaking, oh dear
And the foundation's sinking
The foundation's been sinking all year
Thank God the walls don't crumble
And bury me in rubble down here

There's a vacancy in heaven
A vacancy in heaven, I've heard
And if you want some company
Dear God, you know you can always
Say the word

***

Details: I'm really struggling to write at this point. Waited all day, then had a total blank when I got started. I decided to look back for one of the Fearless Songwriting prompts that I skipped earlier this month. The prompt I picked was "Tile on the roof".

As it happens, we've been looking to get some roof repairs done after last year's big hail storm, so I could relate. I mean, there are no actual leaks, but I've lived in places where there were, so I went there. There are also a lot of little repair jobs that need to be done, and it leaves me a little depressed at times. I've been a lifelong renter and have always asked the property owner to fix things. Unfortunately, the landlady passed away a year ago, so I'm more in charge of that sort of thing.

But that affected the tone of the song. I spent a lot of time grieving last year, and this song kind of captures that, just using the mounting maintenance issues as a metaphor for being down.

I wanted to just whip out a song. I'm tired and need a break from writing (almost done!). So there's no bridge here. I honestly don't think the song needs a bridge. So there you go...

No comments:

Post a Comment