Sunday, January 14, 2018

Dy 14: Everything or Nothing


Today I got to co-write a song with another talented local singer-songwriter, Valerie Bhat. We put together this ballad with a mellow groove in about 3 hours. I have to give special credit to Valerie for coming up with the lovely melody for the chorus. If you enjoy the song, you can find more of Valerie's music at https://www.facebook.com/Valerie...
Boring Details:
This the first time Valerie and I have tried writing together, though we did record a Bruce Springsteen cover together last summer (which I still haven't edited... look for it in February).
We developed the verse chord progression first, then started working on words. Valerie is pretty good at whipping out lines, whereas my method of lyric writing with co-writers seems to involve mumbling until the sounds I make start to resemble real words.
I tend to over-intellectualize the songwriting process, but Valerie is all about directness and feeling. My instincts were create a lot of contrasts between sections, but Valerie kept it close to the heart of the piece, and we ended up with a lovely song. It all came together very quickly, too.
The great thing about collaborating with other songwriters is getting to learn their methods, and I hope to try writing some songs the Valerie Bhat way in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment