Monday, January 8, 2018

Day 8: Coat of Many Colors



No, it's not the Dolly Parton song, it's a blues-rock ditty by yours truly! I had to fight through a lack of inspiration to get this one finished, and I think it came out okay. As a first draft, there are several avenues to take during revisions. It took about 4.5 hours to write... unfortunately, the process isn't speeding up. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated...

Boring Details: No ideas were coming to me, and none of the ideas other people had given me were inspiring anything, either. My roommate decided she wanted to write a song from whatever topic I came up with, so we started searching for topics together. We finally decided to take several random passages from books and try to write a song from those. I glommed on to "The Temperature of Color" which was a chapter heading we had stumbled upon.

I thought this song was a steaming pile of turd up until the last half hour of writing. It was only then that I started to see some coherent direction for the song. The "coat of many colors" metaphor never really landed, but the verses were just starting to turn into an extremely earnest song about very petty things; When I rewrite this song, I'll probably make it more overtly funny.

This sucker never would've seen the light of day if I wasn't doing this project, but forcing it out left me with at least an outline of a potentially good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment