Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Day 9: In Your Blue Eyes


This indie rock tune was a collaboration with Jason Allen. Jay has been reading the sci-fi classic series "Dune", so we decided to write the song about that. This was super fun! I got to play electric bass and Jay played his signature charango. Still took about 4 hours to write, though. Comments and constructive criticism is encouraged.

Boring Details: Jay and I started working around 2:00. We often play a cover of the Pixies' "Where is my Mind" in concert, so I suggested we try doing a Pixies-esque tune, particularly with a melodic bass-line a la Kim Deal. I don't think it quite turned out that way, but that guided us at the beginning.
Jay's a professional bassist, but he started as a guitarist and also plays this Peruvian ukulele called a charango; anyway, he decided I should try my hand at bass this time and he would play leads on the charango. I used to own an acoustic bass, but it's been several years-- it's a lot heavier than an acoustic guitar, but it's damn fun to play!

I saw "Dune" as a movie as a kid, but I've never read the book, so I was in the dark about a lot of the specifics (and had apparently forgotten hugely important plot points... I'll have to watch it again, now). I wasn't sure how this was going to work out, since Jay has apparently never written or co-written a song before, but he was great! We worked pretty closely together on the lyrics and music.

I have several other collaborations set up for later in the month, and I hope they're all as fun as this one turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment