Monday, January 8, 2018

Day 7: Impermanence



Time to get folky and philosophical! Like yesterday, I've been writing this one off and on all day. The song was inspired by a conversation I had with Carrie Faye Thompson​ this morning. We came up with a couple themes and were each going to write a song about them. Here's mine, Carrie! Comments and critiques are always appreciated...

Boring details: Today was supposed to be my first co-write of my January songwriting project, but we ran out of time before Carrie and I could really put something together. We came up with some lines and themes to work with, such as "None of us are ever truly here", "Show me anyone unbroken", being unprepared for something you've been waiting for your whole life, floods, and bureaucracy. I didn't fit all of those into the song, but most of them in some fashion.

The other inspiration I got was from Buffalo Springfield's "Expecting to Fly". It was written by Neil Young, who I'm not generally a fan of, but I really do like that song, and was recommending it to another wonderful singer-songwriter, Alicia Stockman​. So I wanted to try to capture the tone of that song without doing a knock-off. Honestly, I'm not sure it sounds at all like that song, but I'm fairly happy with what I got.

This is the first song I didn't get posted before midnight, but I did get it written on the right day, so technically it should count...

No comments:

Post a Comment