Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Day 31: A Lullaby



For the last song in my song-a-day project, I decided to go with a simple and sweet lullaby. It took about 2 and a half hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism are encouraged.

Thank you all for listening-- this project has been an amazing experience, and I can't express how much I appreciate having you all along for the journey.

Boring Details: I really liked last night's song and didn't want to face the pressure of trying to outdo it-- a project like this isn't the sort where you can just will a great song into existence, no matter how nice it would be to end it that way.

I went for a walk and got the idea of doing something dreamlike. I was thinking about Pink Floyd, the soundtrack to "Waking Life", "In Dreams" by Roy Orbison... just trying to figure out how I was going to approach it. When I got home, I tried coming up with some strange chord juxtapositions to create a surreal quality, but it was just getting too complicated. I then decided to do something real simple with the chords, building around a D-form and making subtle changes to it.

Even though it was a simple composition, I had a damn tough time recording it. I guess last night's song was pretty tough on my fingers, because today the calluses HURT! I had a hard time getting a nice, gentle tone on those strings. But, as I've written many times this month, this isn't a performance project, just a songwriting one, so imperfect tone will have to do.

**** 

Thank you all so much for hanging around and giving me feedback on my songs. Honestly, this has probably been the most fulfilling creative experience I've ever had. Now I have to decide what to do next. One thing that would help is if you could let me know which songs from this month you liked best, or which ones you'd most like for me to develop. If you're feeling up to it, I'd love to know if there's a combination of songs that you might like on a mini-album (3 to 5 songs) sometime in the future.

I'm going to take a few days off to plan my next steps, but I'll be back with more stuff next week. Farewell 'til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment