Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Mundane Love (with Shanna in a Dress)




Romance can be dramatic, but this song, written with Shanna Hoar, contends that sometimes the best kind of love is a bit less exciting. We wrote this in about 3 hours, then it took about 1 hour to get it recorded.

Details: I was trying to get Shanna for my song-a-day January project, but she's hard to nail down. Then she called out of the blue, waking me up from a pleasant afternoon nap, and said she's in town had some free time. I was a bit hazy, but since my roommate was going to be out for a couple hours, I thought it was probably my best opportunity to do some writing with her.

I'm a big fan of Shanna's music. She has a very different style than me, but she has amazing musicality and lyrical ability. I've gotten to work with her a couple other times, once doing a cover of "Brand New Key" and the other writing a Halloween song. Even with that, I'm still pretty intimidated by her skills, and I got pretty nervous while writing with her this time.

Shanna had several vague ideas she was interested in writing about, but this one stuck out to me because I liked the way "mundane" and "love" sounded together. It's been a long while since I've tried writing a song with a piano player, and Shanna was trying to get me to play with some guitar techniques I wasn't too familiar or comfortable with (I'm interested in expanding my guitar vocabulary, but I have a hard time doing it on the spot). All of that threw me a little bit off my game, but eventually I was able to get back in the groove and catch up with Shanna, who was chugging along with the song.

Finding the right angle for the video was tricky, and the piano was a little out of tune, but I think we ended up with something nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment