Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Day 23: You Can't Quit Now, Baby



This one's a dark comedy about getting motivated. Took about 3-and-a-half hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism are encouraged.

Boring Details: This is a very meta- song. I sooo didn't want to write anything today, and this is me whining in musical fashion. It sounds more negative than yesterday's song, but I'm actually much more chipper. I'm just feeling super lazy...

This song references some other music: the line "this is a dancing song" is a reference to Lisa Germano's "Cancer of Everything" where she proclaims "this is a happy song" smack in the middle of one of the most morose songs you'll ever hear. Of course, the dance steps are a play on old soul songs like "Land of 1000 Dances" where the singer tells you what you should do next.

At first, this really was going to be a dancing song. I was inspired a bit by Ken Craft's music at the Loveland Songwriter's Group on Sunday, and thought it would be fun to try my hand at a foot-stomping bar tune. But I decided to put it in a minor key, because I haven't written enough minor songs this month, and that inspired me to go sardonic.

I consider this a throw-away song, but sometimes people like my throw-away songs...

No comments:

Post a Comment