Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Day 24: And Then The Day Was Gone



Today I wrote a song with Tim Ostdiek, a fairly prominent local singer-songwriter. We ended up writing a bluesy number about getting out of bed and cleaning up. It took about two-and-a-half hours to write and record. If you want to check out more of Tim's stuff, check out https://www.facebook.com/timostdiek/

Boring Details: Tim is very active in the local singer-songwriter community. He's released a couple albums, plays pretty regularly both solo and with other local acts, and hosts a well-regarded open jam in Longmont. He's someone I definitely look up to in the musical community here.

We got together this afternoon knowing that we only had a couple hours to work on the song, which is shorter than I've had with my other co-writers, but the process is much the same. We sat down and talked about each other's method and tossed some ideas around.

I asked Tim if there was a style of music he liked but didn't play very often, and brought up doing a minor blues. I asked him if he'd done anything eventful during the week and he told me about how he decided to pull his bed away from the wall and how that led to a series of rearrangements that ended up taking up the rest of his day. That's where "And then the day is gone" came from, and we decided to go from there. Since it was a bluesy number, alcohol needed to be involved, as well as a heavy dose of misfortune. We added a call-and-response format so that we could get both Tim and me singing throughout.

I think there are some really cool things about this song, and I hope Tim and I get a chance to work on it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment