Monday, January 22, 2018

Day 22: Loser In Disguise



I'm feeling mopey today, so I whipped up a simple, sad song. Took about 3 hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism is encouraged.

I've been particularly anxious lately about several things, though mostly work was on my mind today. Everybody tells me I'm doing an okay job, but I don't quite believe them. And so that was the mindset I brought into tonight's session.

My roommate is also a songwriter and we often brainstorm ideas together, then go off and write separate songs. She usually picks up a dictionary and I pick out a book, then we choose random words and passages from each of them and try to build them into a song. The quote I attached myself to was something like "I don't respect talent. Talent is genetic. It's what you do with it that matters." Add that to my mood and I ended up writing a fairly fatalistic song.

After 22 days, I think I'm starting to repeat myself. Early on, I was trying to come up with really distinctive guitar parts, but for the last few songs I've been pretty lazy with my arrangements. I'm still enjoying this project, but I'm looking forward to taking a few days off come February to regenerate...

No comments:

Post a Comment