Saturday, January 13, 2018

Day 12: Forlorn at the Corner Store


Apparently I can't write a straight love song, so here's a quirky one instead. This took an ungodly 7 hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism is encouraged.

Boring Details: Someone at work today brought up Richard Thompson, who is maybe my biggest musical idol, so I wanted to write a song with a similar tone to one of his. The guitar part is intended to sound a little bit like British or Irish folk guitar, and originally was going to be much more intricate... but I just ran out of steam. The real drag on this writing wasn't the guitar arrangement, though.

The lyrics really killed me. I wanted to write a straight-up love song, but I just... couldn't... do it. Apparently I'm too cynical in my middle age. That being said, it's still probably in the spirit of Richard Thompson, because he does his fair share of satirical songs.

It's getting harder to write the solo songs. My collaborations, however, have so far been fun and relatively quick. Luckily, I have four co-writes in a row scheduled next...

No comments:

Post a Comment