Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Final Ascent (with Todd Hawkins)


Lyrics: 

I closed my eyes, and I took my final breath 
My fear had left me at the sweet embrace of death 
And I got high 
I said goodbye 

Saw June and Jimmy and Doctor John 
They took my body and they held me in their arms 
And then they cried 
They said goodbye 

I saw my fate 
I had to face the great unknown 
I was scared of being alone 
I held on to the things that made my Earthly home 
But I'm done 
Now I'm letting go 

The Earth escaped me as my soul was drawn away 
I saw the tribes of man and borderlines decay 
We were deceived 
But now I'm free 

Everlasting nothingness 
Existential passion, peace come from beyond 
Communion with the stardust 
The firmament, creation 
Transcendental evolution, inspiration 
Deliver me 

No self remains, every ego is resolved 
There is no sense of being alone 
Only benevolence unbounded by the soul 
A tale of old 
Once more retold 

Details: Todd Hawkins and I started writing this song back in late September or early October as one of my Halloween projects, but we didn't finish writing it until after Christmas. Tonight, we finally got around to recording it. Todd is a Reverend by trade, and he was a perfect person to co-write this tune about someone passing on to the great beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment