Saturday, January 26, 2019

Day 25: Dead and Gone


Lyrics:
I open my eyes and I sit up at midnight
The pillow beside me's unwrinkled and cold
The tale that they tell me has left no question
Dead and gone

I get in the car and I turn the ignition
I smell your perfume in the passenger seat
But there's no heat when you're down in the morgue
Dead and gone

I stand above you, you're so still
I see your body, not your will
I see your form, I see your fate
I want to kiss you, help you breathe
Lift you up and bend your knees
Take your hand and walk away

I think of the street where they told me they found you
How you were trapped and scared all alone
I wish I had been there, if only to hold you
To whisper sweet lies that you'll make it on home
To tell  you I love you before you're
Dead and gone

Details: I took my afternoon nap and overslept; sometimes when you wake up at the wrong time, everything feels out of place, and that set me off on the song. Sometimes people die suddenly, and you wish you'd been there to provide them at least some comfort, even if you couldn't save them.

I'm worried that I'm running out of musical ideas. After a while, it can seem like you're going back to all the same chord progressions. I've done a lot of blues-based tunes this year, which can get stale. Maybe I'm composing on the guitar a bit too much-- for the next song, I'll probably try writing a melody first; that often leads to more interesting song structures.

This took about 3.5 hours to write and 30 minutes to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment