Saturday, January 27, 2018

Day 27: Art, Not Math



This is a folky collaboration with my friend Kirk Bennett, and it's kind of about the creative process. We spent about 4 hours putting it together. Enjoy!

Boring Details: Kirk and I have played together off-and-on since late last year. We've tried writing on a couple occasions, but this is our first time with a time limit.

We have very different songwriting methods, with Kirk tending to write steam-of-consciousness lyrics first then revising, whereas I tend to write and revise as I go. Trying to find the right balance is tricky.

As with many of my co-writes, I did a little mini-interview with him at the beginning. He said that he had been listening to some Alexi Murdoch, who I also really like, and who reminds us both of Nick Drake. So I whipped up an Alexi Murdoch-like finger-pick, and Kirk picked up his mandolin.

We developed the basic chord progression first, then I played the guitar part while Kirk wrote lyrics in his notebook for several minutes. Once we had those lyrics, we look for common themes and wrote a chorus built around them.

I always have a fun time hanging out with Kirk, and I look forward to working with him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment