Friday, January 26, 2018

Day 26: Sara Says It's Okay



This is a jangle pop tune about false reassurance. It took just shy of 4 hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.

Boring Details: First off, my apologies to my officemate Sara, who I do find very reassuring and I always appreciate her support. Originally the song was going to be a very positive one with the refrain "Sara says it's okay." But melodic hook was too catchy for me to not add some snark, so once I thought up "...but she's wrong", it had to go in.

Earlier in the day, I had a discussion about what I was going to do after this song-a-day project is over, which took my mind out of the project, and made it hard to get going. But once I did, the song structure came fairly quickly, as did the lyrics for the chorus.

But I couldn't figure out who would sing that chorus. At one point, I was considering "Dory says it's okay" and making it about the TV show "Search Party" (in which Dory involves her friends in a murder she commits and convinces them to cover it up), but that seemed too dark. Instead, I decided to make it about the aftermath of a broken relationship.

I wasn't expecting to like this song, but I do. The one part that sticks out to me is the transition from the bridge to the final chorus-- I may need to add a third verse or half-verse. But that'll be for when I get around to revisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment