Thursday, January 30, 2020

Day 30: The Battery Died (with Jay Allen)



Lyrics:

The screen lit up
And I saw your face
Couldn't help but smile
When I heard your voice
And you repeated
The same old stories again
I wouldn't trade them
For anything
And then the battery died

I went to K.A.R.L.
And I asked him "where And how much longer
Will it take to get us there?"
He showed his math, geometry
Operations he applied
"It doesn't matter where you go
You'll always be here inside"
And then the battery died

This was just a short gig
On an inter-solar truck
Who'd think that I'd end up
With such downright dirty luck
A mutated chromosome
I never would've thought
I'm never going home

The coffee maker, refrigerator
The respirator, too
Said "see you later, alligator"
But all I miss is you
The life support was getting short
I made my last report
The engines died, got black inside
The computer said "goodbye"
And then the battery died

Details: Jay and I have been playing together for 6 or 7 years now. Up to this point, Jay has played bass or charango, but now he has a new toy: a synthesizer! We've been talking about incorporating it more into our shows, and what better time to experiment than during Song-a-day January!

Jay came up with the refrain "and then the battery died" and we came up with a sci-fi story to wrap around it. Once we got the idea of a person stuck on a spaceship (which took a while), it all came together pretty quickly.

Jay wanted to get the synth's blinking lights in the video, and I suggested turning out the lights might make them stand out more. Then, Jay remembered that he had a strobe light. The sound isn't great, because we're so far away from the camera, but I love the overall vibe.

It took about 2.5 hours to write and .5 hours to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment