Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Day 1: Days Like Water



Lyrics:
Days like water falling down
Feels like sinking through the ground
Can't tell dusk from the dawn
Feels so different now you're gone

Night's like fire in the rain
Dampened ashes leave a stain
We won't ever meet again
I'll think of you now and then
 
I will go on without you
But time will pass on
So slowly, only for me

Twilight's mist all aglow
Horizons sit just below
I can't say I'm right or wrong
Sitting here all alone

Details: I've been nervous about not being nervous. Last year, I was a bundle of anxiety starting Song-a-day January, but I've been absolutely mellow going in this time-- that sometimes means certain doom is around the corner. Would I abort before I began? Would I succumb to my fundamental laziness? I decided that not worrying too much was the right tactic.

Last year I wanted to knock it out of the park with the first song, and that one ended up being a lyrically showy tune that I've had deep reservations about since. This time I just went with a light, melancholy tune about change. I wanted something that spoke to the passage of time, but I started with the guitar part. I was hearing those rhythmic bass-line bursts in my head, so I tried to bring them out on the guitar. The melody and vocal style reminds me a bit of Nick Drake or Alexi Murdoch (hopefully I didn't lift the melody from them-- I'll have to check), as does the pensive tone.

It took about 3 hours to write, plus another hour to practice and record. I really need to get new strings for my guitar, because there's one string that just can't be tuned right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment