Monday, March 5, 2018

Underground Radio Wise Woman (w/ Cheyenne Dane)


This is a song I finished last year, and it has an unusual backstory. I had joined a songwriting critique group a couple years ago and brought in a song that I specifically asked for comments not about the lyrics-- I just wanted a critique of the structure. The group proceeded to make 90% comments about the lyrics and all but ignored the structure of the song. That kind of pissed me off, so I decided to write a song where they couldn't ignore the structure, and this is that song. I wanted to show you could write an interesting and impactful song without focusing on lyrics so much.

But the lyrics do mean something in this song. One of my favorite radio stations is the college radio station for CU. I love how the variety and how it usually challenges me each time I turn it on. At the same time, the DJs can sometimes be willfully obscure and a wee bit too elitist. So this song is both a tribute to and a subtle jab at college radio.

Cheyenne, as always, was great to work with. She was actually having a rough day when we recorded this, but she managed to pour that emotion into her playing. She was the first person I thought of when I started mentally arranging this tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment