Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Day 3: 15 Days


This one's (I think) a country-boogie kind of tune. I'm going for diversity, folks! It was a tough nut to crack-- I took about 5 hours to write it. This one is definitely a first draft and I would love your critiques and other feedback on it.

Boring Details: I slept horribly last night, so I took a longer than usual nap this afternoon after getting back from work. When I got up, I decided to start writing this song old-school-- I used to go for a walk when I wanted to write a song. I find that writing with an instrument sends me down the same path too many times, but that the melodies I come up with while walking are often somewhat unusual (not to say this song is that unusual). I started off wanting to write something more rockin'-- the first two songs this week were sing-songy and slow, respectively, so I wanted to change it up. Well, a rock song wasn't coming out, so I shifted to country.

 I came up with the chorus first, which was going to be "15 days, 15 ways to break your heart". Unfortunately, it was a bit daunting trying to come up with 15 different ways to break someone's heart without ending the relationship. Then I thought that maybe it would be about a guy traveling who said he'd only be gone 15 days but was struggling to get back on time for his wife's birthday. But for whatever reason that wasn't working, so I shifted the trucking theme. The problem there is that I know nothing about trucking culture. Never-the-less, I was eating up time like nobody's business, so I decided to just stick with the theme and bang out the lyrics. I like the basic song structure and guitar part, but I'm not thrilled about the lyrics (aside from "Aw heck! What's next?"... I really like that).

If I decide to keep working on this song, I suspect the words will change quite a bit. Either I'll research trucking culture a bit more or I'll go back to one of the earlier ideas and hash it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment