Saturday, January 20, 2018

Day 20: A Free Man With A Free Verse



This one dips into avant garde comedy. I wrote it with my old comedy buddy, Eric Farwell, and is by far the artiest piece in my song-a-day project so far. It took us about two hours to put together. Prepare yourself to be challenged and amused!

Boring Details: I've known Eric since the early nineties when I met him as part of a sketch comedy show I was involved in. Over the years, we've done a variety of projects together, including improv comedy, short films, and some audio projects. I decided to invite Eric to be part of this project because the last thing we did was a comedic musical number called "Turkey Ghosts of Longmont" (which you can check out here: https://soundcloud.com/davidlc/t... )

When we got together today, Eric was interested in working with random phrases and seeing what that inspired. We ended up putting a bunch of incomplete phrases in a bowl, then picked them out two or three at a time at random to see what it would inspire. My number one interest was doing something with percussion, so I pulled out my bells and chimes and what-not to see what would happen.

I don't think we were necessarily going in an avant garde direction, but once we got our random phrase clusters together, it seemed to lean that way. The second part, which has a more standard rhythm and melody, was created specifically to break the tension of the first part. We dabbled with the idea of a beatnik who was using his poems to get laid, but we ended up with more non sequiturs.

This was a fun project, and a nice break from the rigid format of pop songs. It cleanses the creative palette...

No comments:

Post a Comment