Thursday, January 18, 2018

Day 18: How Come No One Gets Lost Anymore



This is for all those bickering tourists out there, with a little bit of a punk groove. It took about 4 hours to write. Comments and constructive criticism are encouraged.

Boring Details: I've been wanting to write a punk song this whole month, and it still eludes me. I started out with a punky guitar riff (the two-chord verse groove is a Velvet Underground kind of thing), but the melody and storytelling definitely isn't very punk. Still, it's fairly propulsive, so I figured I need lyrics that involved movement.

It used to be a cliche that guys never stopped and asked for directions, but we live in the world of GPS on your cell phones, so I was wondering how that kind of stubbornness plays out these days. I also got to thinking about the tension between people who plan every detail of a trip and those who like to travel free-form. The main character in the song is very free-form, but I didn't want to necessarily endorse that method of travel, so I decided to have them get mugged in the end.

Anyway, this was fun to write, but I'm not sure it really came together. There's not as much detail or bickering, and I don't think I quite got the phone thing right. It needs work, but it's not a bad start...

No comments:

Post a Comment