Monday, September 8, 2014

TV Review: The Strain

I saw my first two episodes of Guillermo del Toro's "The Strain" last night on F/X, and I got a big kick out of them.


A friend of mine had warned me that it had some really gross parts, and he wasn't kidding-- the vampires in the show attack with these toothy projectile tongues, but it looks a little like they're vomiting at you.  Add to that the wormy little creatures that cause the infection, and there's plenty to leave you squirming.  I swear, when I was younger, I was never into this kind of stuff.  But now that I've gotten a bit long in the tooth, this kind of spectacle appeals to me more and more (I suppose it's supposed to work the other way around).

But it's not all gore, by any means.  The show is sort of a hybrid of vampire, zombie and evil alien tropes.  In fact, the first episode I watched was a typical zombie scenario, with the main characters holed up in a gas station as they try to fend off an advancing horde of feral vampires.  But there were also some creepy flashbacks to a WWII Nazi prison camp where we get to see the younger version of vampire hunter facing "The Master" for the first time-- that felt more definitively like a vampire moment, with all the fierce intelligence you'd expect from the blood-suckers.  At the same time, these vampires are different from any vampires or zombies you've seen before; certainly the projectile tongues are part of it, but also the hive mind they appear to possess.  This show wants to touch on just about every type of horror all at once.

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like horror and twisted imagery, I think this show would appeal to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment